Planting 1,000 trees
In and around Great Paxton for the 1,000th year.
Have you planted a tree in or around the village? Let us know so we can add it to the total and try to get to 1000. with the number of trees you have planted and your name. You can send a picture of your tree and/or you too for me to add to this page.
- Sylvia Buxcey - Prunus nigra
- Carol Oldham - 3 dwarf Alberta spruce
- Chris Hall - Fig tree, Robinia, Liquidambar, Tibetan Cherry
- Jeff Hill - 3 crab apple, 2 Hazelnuts, 2 Firs, 1 Staghorn, 2 weeping pear, 1 Cherry (Autumnalis), 1 Cherry (Amonogawa), 3 Eucalyptus, 2 Robinia. In pots: 2 weeping pear, 2 Rowan. "Cardell Corner" in the church yard - 2 cherries
- Caroline Cummins - 4 apple trees at allotments
- Sarah Gray - Yew and cherry.
- Jacqueline Wieczorek - 2 fruit trees
- Ninian Sanders - 200, mixed Beech, Oak, Silver Birch and Gean
- Richard Rapley - 2 False acacias
- Recreation ground - 7 silver birch, 19 rowan, 1 oak, 1 walnut, 12 hazel
- Allotments - 2 fruit trees
- London Lane - 5 various
- Field on High Street - short hedge, 20
- Diane and Graham James - King James Mulberry
- Gaynor Christie - Morello cherry and a golden delicious apple
- Maggie Horne - Sorbus vilmorinii
- Jackie Baines - Sorbus Olympic Flame
- Jonathan Brittain - Eucalyptus
- Paul Ward - Japanese pine + 2 yew
All tree donations gratefully accepted, if you have a tree you don't know what to do with in a pot.
There are a number of organizations that will supply trees for free, they need to know roughly where they will be planted and some evidence that it has happened, if you can find space to plant them (including hedgerows) on your land, please let me know.
Trees can be purchased and planted privately as part of the total.
I and others will help with the planting of trees on public or publicly accessible land.
Late November to late March is the best time to plant trees, preferably before they start to stir in the spring.
Chris Hall - Fig tree
Diane and Graham James with a King James black mulberry tree they donated and planted in the church yard. Mulberry trees can live 1,000 years or more, this one could be around for the next millenial celebration!
Planting trees around the rec ground
Jacqueline Wieczorek - Two duo fruit trees
Maggie Horne - Sorbus vilmorinii
Some of the 40 trees that were planted around the rec.
Jackie Baines - Sorbus Olympic Flame
Jonathan Brittain - Eucalyptus
This is me, Paul Ward with my newly planted tree, which I am claiming as the first, it's a Japanese style pine tree.